Monday, May 3, 2010

Ethiopian House


Three co-workers embark on a quest to eat lunch at every restaurant in their office's surrounding vicinity, documenting their reactions and reviewing the food. This is OUT TO LUNCH.


Melissa: Delish. Again, this is another hidden gem in Toronto that was brought to my attention by Lisa. We were starving the day we went so the food felt like it was taking forever but I think it was worth the wait. I ordered a vegetarian plate that was delicious and plentiful. Some of the flavours were new but definitely welcomed! I will return when I have more than an hour break.

Lisa: I have heard this is the best Ethiopian food in the city, but I think we just came on an off day. The food took almost an hour and the portion sizes were small and the injera lacked the texture and flavor that it usually has at other Ethiopian restaurants. The vegetarian meal lack variety. I would give it a second chance but not recommend it based on this one time. Try Nazareth, Lailebela or Addis Abada for better food and service.



Paul:
Unlike Melissa and Lisa, I've never had Ethiopian food before, so I can honestly say this is the best Ethiopian food I've ever had. Kidding aside, this was a pretty great lunch. I ordered the lunch special that came with pan fried beef and collared greens (a phrase I enjoy both typing and saying aloud) and different vegetables that were all delicious and flavourful. The one downside for me was cottage cheese, which I didn't know anyone actually liked until my two lunch-mates happily ate my portion.

The experience of eating with your hands using the
Injera bread made the meal oddly more satisfying (probably because after the wait it took for our order to come I no longer had time for utensils.) The decor is appropriately funky, with brightly coloured throw pillows meeting your gaze in all directions and the walls filled with interesting pictures and designs in a style reminiscent of a Wes Anderson film set in Ethiopia. Suffice it to say, I would definitely go back for another meal.

Ethiopian House Website



View Larger Map

1 comment:

  1. I like all three reviews.... Really shows how each person's perspective is completely different. I think Melissa sounds wise and beyond her years.

    ReplyDelete